You might have received an error message indicating that your HP printer is out of paper that basically reflects an issue with the sheets loaded in it. Mainly, this common problem is noticed when the paper input tray has been overloaded or if the paper is not properly inserted in the paper tray. Also, the paper feed or paper pick rollers are affected by dust or moisture. Thus, the paper may have properly inserted in the tray of the printer, yet it may not be recognizing. Due to the “HP Printer Says out of Paper” error message, you may be unable to print your documents. So, it is very important to find the exact reason for the issue and the proper troubleshooting method to fix it. Also, the paper settings can be corrected or adjusted.
Let us check more troubleshooting methods to fix the out-of-paper problem on HP printers. We have mentioned various troubleshooting methods like checking the status of your Print Spooler service, cleaning the paper feed rollers of your printer, resetting your HP printer, etc. These methods will help you to fix paper-related issues with the HP printers on Windows 10 computers.
Why My HP Printer Keeps Saying out of Paper?
For an HP printer that keeps saying out of paper, there can be multiple causes. A few of the main reasons have been mentioned below:
- The paper feed roller of your printer might contain dust or choked with paper debris.
- The device’s driver installed in your system may be outdated.
- You might be using low-quality paper or printing paper with curled edges.
- The paper tray of your printer may be overloaded.
- Some kind of compatibility issues makes your HP printer unable to work properly.
How do I Fix HP Printer Says Out of Paper Error?
Wondering What to do when your printer says there is no paper but there is? There can be some problem with the printing paper you are loading in the HP printer, i.e., it may not be in a good condition. It is very important to check its condition before loading it in the paper tray. If it is in a good state, check some other troubleshooting methods to fix the “HP Printer Says out of Paper” error:
Method 1: Clean Your HP Printer’s Paper Feed Rollers
In a number of situations, your printer might not be clean and this causes the HP printer says it’s out of paper but it’s not. There can be dirty paper feed rollers or dust in certain parts of your HP printer. In such cases, follow the steps given below to clean the paper feed rollers of your HP printers:
- First of all, turn off your HP printer by disconnecting the device’s power cord.
- Check that no sheets are placed in the input tray of the device. If there is any paper in the paper tray, remove it.
- Open the access cover of your HP printer and locate the paper feed rollers.
- Calmly bring it out and get a clean cloth and distilled water in a bowl. Slightly dip the cloth in water and start cleaning the paper feed rollers.
- Wait till the roller gets dry completely.
- Avoid using any compressed air or a hairdryer for this drying process.
Once the cleaning process is successfully completed and the rollers is dry, insert it in the printer and put some sheets in the input tray. Wait till the printer goes into an idle and silent mode and then try to test a print page.
Method 2: Make Sure Print Spooler is Normally Working
In Windows and Mac devices, there can be some problem with the Print Spooler services that makes your printer unable to recognize papers. It is very important to ensure that whether the Print Spooler service of your printer is running properly. Follow the steps given below to check the status of your printer’s spooler:
- Press “Windows” + “Run” Key to open “Run”.
- Type in “services.msc” in the Run prompt box and then press Enter key.
- This will open the “Services” window on the screen that displays a list of various services running on your system. Go through this list and select the “Print Spooler” service.
- Make sure that the service’s “Status” is mentioned as “Started”. If the “Status” is “Stopped”, then right-click on “Print Spooler” and then click on “Properties” from the context menu.
- Click on the “Start” button to begin the “Print Spooler” service.
After making the relevant changes, you have to insert a page in the paper tray for testing this fix.
If none of the above methods have helped you, then you can reset the printer to fix the problem. For this, unplug the power cable without powering off the printer. Then, wait for at least 30 seconds and plug it back into the printer. If your printer does not turn on automatically, you can even press the power button.