Nowadays, HP printers and scanners play a very important role in our daily life. But sometimes, you may encounter some issues while printing or scanning your documents. These devices might not work properly and need to be fixed at the earliest to access all their functionalities.
Many users have a complaint that their HP scanner is not working properly but the printer is. There are many technical reasons that make your scanner work improperly. Whenever you encounter this type of problem, you need to fix it at the earliest to bring your scanner again in working state. Here, in this article, we have mentioned the exact causes of the ‘HP scanner not working’ issue and the proper methods to troubleshoot this problem.
What causes HP scanner not working issue?
There are several reasons by which your HP Scanner may not work properly. It is important to identify the exact technical glitches that could disturb its smooth functioning. Given below are some important causes for problems in your HP scanner:
- There can be some problems with the cables connecting your scanner and the computer.
- Your USB cable might not be supported by the scanner
- Using outdated/improperly configured scanner drivers and much more.
How do I Fix the ‘HP scanner not working issue?
Once you come to know the exact reason behind the HP printer scanner not working problem on Windows 10 system and Mac, it’s time to fix the issue. You can apply any of the following methods to fix the problem and to bring your scanner again in working state:
Step 1: Check the network connectivity
Before applying ant technical method, check whether your device has proper network connectivity. For this, check the connection between your computer and the scanner. In the case of a USB cable, check whether the USB ports and USB cable are properly working.
In case of a Wi-Fi connection, ensure that there is proper internet connectivity between the devices. If your computer is connected to a VPN network, disconnect it and check whether your scanner is working properly.
Step 2: Enable WIA service and associated services
Windows Image Acquisition or WIA is a Microsoft driver model and application interface that is specifically designed for Windows operating systems. WIA allows graphics-related software to communicate with imaging hardware like scanners and cameras. It is important to make sure that this service is properly enabled on your computer. You can follow the steps given below to check the services:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run command box.
- Type services.msc in the dialogue box and click on OK button or press Enter key.
- Scroll down and double-click on Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). Also, ensure that it is set to Automatic and the current Service status is Running.
- Click on Apply button for smooth application of the configuration. Then, click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Along with WIP, it is also important to check whether the status of the following services is ‘Running’.
- Remote Procedure Call RPC DCOM Server Process Launcher RPC Endpoint Mapper Shell Hardware Detection
- Remote Procedure Call RPC
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- RPC Endpoint Mapper
- Shell Hardware Detection
- At last, restart your system and check whether the scanner is working properly.
Step 3: Update all Installed Scanner Drivers
There might be some outdated scanner driver installed in your system that makes your scanner unable to work properly. If you are experiencing an ‘HP scanner not working situation’, ensure that the driver you have is properly updated. You can either update a driver automatically or manually, on the basis of your system requirements. All you have to do is visit the official website of your scanner company and check and install the updated drivers.